Groove Jam is a MUSIC FESTIVAL, FOOD DRIVE and FUNDRAISER held annually at Doodad Farm in Greensboro, North Carolina.
This year the musical performances will be streamed on the Greensboro Urban Ministry YouTube Chanel
Scenes from prior Groove Jam Festivals
What to Bring
- Non-perishable food donations. Groove Jam is a food drive and fund raiser for Greensboro Urban Ministry, our local food bank and homeless shelter.
- A designated driver or camping gear if you plan to drink alcohol.
There is plenty of room to camp. Do NOT drive intoxicated to or from this event.
- NOTE: There is no alcohol provided or for sale at the festival but you can bring whatever you like. Just be responsible. Do NOT sell alcohol to anyone!
- Cash money (suggested minimum donation for entry plus money for food, raffle tickets, souvenir tee shirts, vendor items etc.)
- Coolers are welcome. Bring a picnic if you like. There will also be food trucks on site. Bring whatever you want to drink. (No glass please)
- Water bottle or canteen (we have a water source you can fill from)
- Closed-toe shoes
- Lawn chair
- Dogs are welcome but bring a leash and be prepared to clean up, please!
- Bug spray & sun protection
- Put your name on everything
What Not to Bring
- WEAPONS of any kind
- ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES
- (If you are under 21, do not put yourself or us at risk by drinking alcohol)
- FIREWORKS or plans to make FIRES or light candles (Grilling is OK)
- CANNED MUSIC (Why do that when there’s live music all day?)
PEOPLE UNDER 18: Minors will need to have a parent or guardian present
in order to gain entrance.
NOTE: If it rains we will still have the festival and there will be shelter and tent space so everyone can still enjoy the music without getting rained on.
GROOVE JAM MUSIC FESTIVAL Origins and History
Warren Haynes is one of my favorite musicians, not only for the incredible music that he makes with the Allman Brothers Band, The Dead, Gov’t Mule and so many others but for the person he is and the way he has used his success to give back to his hometown community. Every year for the past quarter of a century Warren has hosted the Christmas Jam in Asheville NC to raise money for the local Habitat for Humanity. I was fortunate enough to meet Warren at a Habitat home dedication ceremony and it was very moving. It made me think that perhaps I could do something similar on a smaller scale to benefit the less fortunate in my own community of Greensboro.
Together with my two bands plus other musician friends and a group of dedicated volunteers, we organized a music festival to benefit the Greensboro Urban Ministry, our local homeless shelter and food bank.
Step one was to find an appropriate place to hold our event and we struck gold when we met the good folks at Doodad Farm. They have been the most gracious hosts allowing us to hold our festival at their beautiful venue.
The first Groove Jam took place in August 2012 and we had the worst possible weather. In true Woodstock fashion we dealt with torrential rain and unbelievable mud.
Groove Jam 2 was held in September 2013 and again we had a lot of rain. Despite bad weather, we kept all the music on schedule and had some fabulous performances and everyone who attended had a great time plus we raised significant amounts of money and collected donations to stock the food bank. It is our goal to continue this as an annual event and have it grow each year. Our simple mission is to help support those less fortunate among us with a local music festival that will be enjoyable for all who attend.
“Any day that I can do a little good in this world with my guitar in my hands is a good day for me.
So Groove Jam is always a good day for me, even if it rains.”
Rich Lerner, 2014
GROOVE JAM FESTIVAL TOTAL RESULTS
2012 Groove Jam I
Raised over $1200 and collected 642 pounds of food donations
2013 Groove Jam II
Raised over $1300 and collected 653 pounds of food donations
2014 Groove Jam III
Raised over $5600 and collected 1073 pounds of food donations
2018 Groove Jam VII
Raised over $19,000 and 1587 pounds of food donations
GROOVE JAM FESTIVAL TOTAL RESULTS
2015 Groove Jam IV
Raised over $10,000 and collected 1418 pounds of food donations
2016 Groove Jam V
Raised over $12,000 and collected 1745 pounds of food donations
2017 Groove Jam VI
Raised over $18,000 and collected 4148 pounds of food donations
2019 Groove Jam VIII
Raised over $15,000 and collected 1764 pounds of food donations